Friday, March 14, 2008

Next time you get the flu... Celebrate!

I woke up one morning a few days ago. Right away it's clear: something's wrong. Throat's a little sore. Aw, no! Did I shout last night? No, that's not it. Well, bummer, I've got a cold. Blame it on the kid in preschool.

Then I start to move. Urg. Achy ache. Yeah. "Flu-like symptoms." Joy of joys. Man, there's so much to do. Heck, I can put the patio furniture together next weekend. But will I miss work? How bad will it be if that Appropedia work waits for a couple days?

I take a couple of over the counter pills with water, put the glass on the night stand. Right next to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's "Half of a Yellow Sun" that was recommended by my buddy at Kepler's. I think for a minute about what it's like to get the flu for the other half of the world's population.

Okay, so, I'm going to feel pretty lousy for another few minutes until those pills kick in. Then I'll move a little slow for a day or two. I won't go hungry. If I call in sick for a couple days, I won't lose my job. My wife and son won't starve. Also, I know it's the flu. I mean, I know it's not TB or typhoid or a hundred other diseases that just don't happen here because we've got a pretty thorough public health program.

Wow!

Am I a lucky sucker or what?! I've got the flu...in one of the rich countries of the world!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home